Graham worked as an executive in advertising companies, in Australia. Singapore and South Africa, some of which he owned, from 1966 to 1994. With the advent of the new South Africa, he moved full time into wine production in 1995 with his company Savanha Wines. Wine had been a hobby interest during his advertising career, but the opening of world markets turned this into full-on involvement.
Graham Knox: Wine Entrepreneurial Roles
In 1969. in Singapore, Graham started to write about wine. In 1971, he moved to South Africa, where he discovered the re-birth of one of the world’s great wine origins. In the intervening period between then and now, he has been responsible for a number of new businesses, wine innovations and awards.
– First wine column in Singapore (Straits Times 1969/71)
– First comprehensive review of South Africa’s premium wines and their origins (Estate Wines of South Africa 1976)
– First commercial guide to the Cape’s original wine route (Stellenbosch Wine Route 1977)
– First popularly priced Chardonnay in South Africa (Craighall 1992 – reached a peak of 100 000 cases in 1994)
– First and only wine company listing on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange in the new era (1997). Savanha Wines Ltd delisted and was renamed Spier Wines in 2001.
– First Methode Cape Classique made in South Africa under Champenoise direction 1983 (Villiera Tradition NV – 1993)
– First series of premium wines made from selected, isolated, named single vineyards in South Africa (Jack & Knox 2001 to 2007)
– First commercial big blend of South African premium Sauvignon Blanc for export (Stormhoek 2003)
– Highest ranked wineblog ever on Google (see Google ‘wine’ search Stormhoek)
– Stormhoek chosen by USA’s Advertising Age as one of the world’s 50 best marketers (2006)
– Stormhoek’s 2005 marketing campaign chosen by UK’s Drinks Digest as the best in UK liquor 2006
– Graham’s Stormhoek blog won the Grand Trophy: South Africa’s best marketing campaign of 2007 (Sunday Times November 2007)
Marketing and Business Strategy
In addition to the above examples, Graham provided the founding concepts and development plans (either alone or as part of a team) for the establishment and development of:
• Vignerons de Franschhoek
• Spier Wines
• Neil Ellis
* Bellingham (brand refreshment)
Major wine awards
• 2004 Siyabonga Pinotage (SAA best Pinotage 2006)
• 2005 Stormhoek Pinotage (IWSC world’s best Pinotage 2005)
Estate Wines of South Africa 1976
Estate Wines of South Africa 1983 (second edition)
Cape Wines, Body and Soul 1998
Wines of South Africa 2002
Over the last 4years, Graham has been researching and writing the text and preparing to book format of The Wine Atlas of South Africa, a document that will be the first book in South Africa, and possibly in the world, to show how and why premium wines are influenced by their place of origin.
As a brand creator or marketing fixer, Graham has launched a thousand ships on the wine ocean. If you have a need for image modification, enhancement or creation please contact him today!